Fourth of July weekend begins this week, which means it’s time to start thinking about outdoor parties, grilling, ice-cold drinks, and the like. The summer holiday and the big fireworks show and concert along Vic Mathias Shores mean there are a lot of food and drink events around the city.
Here is Eater’s guide to the food and dessert specials, parties, eating contests, and more, all happening in Austin during the long holiday weekend.
Friday, June 30 through Sunday, July 2
- Sour brewery Blue Owl Brewing is offering discounts on to-go orders plus free sparklers. The tasting room is also offering mini corn dogs and a red/white/blue beer slushie. (2400 East Cesar Chavez Street)
Sunday, July 2 through Tuesday, July 4
- Bakery mini-chain Tiny Pies’s holiday menu includes larger American flag pies, one with cherries and blueberries and the other a cream pie with various berries, star-shaped hand pies, and more. Everything is available for online preorders for pickups on Sunday, July 2 through Tuesday, July 4. (multiple locations)
- The W Austin hotel pool the Wet Deck is hosting a long weekend party with food, drinks, live music, and more. Tickets per day are $90. (200 Lavaca Street, Downtown)
Sunday, July 2 through Monday, July 3
- San Antonio import Bakery Lorraine is offering two Fourth of July pies for preorders this holiday. There’s an apple pie made with five types of the fruit, and then the buttermilk pie with berries. Advanced orders for the $34 pies can be placed now for pickups on Sunday and Monday, July 2 to 3. (11600 Rock Rose Avenue, Suite 100, Domain Northside)
Sunday, July 2
- The Liberty bar is hosting a dad bod competition earlier on during the holiday weekend. In-person sign-ups take place from 2 to 3:30 p.m. with the contest starting at 4 p.m. There are also drink specials and food specials from the on-site truck Golden Grill. (1618 East Sixth Street, East Austin)
- Though not specifically pegged to the Fourth of July, New Texan restaurant Lenoir is hosting what it is calling a Backyard Beefsteak Banquet in its wine garden. On deck will be all-you-can-eat grilled beef plus other sides and foods, as well as a la carte drinks. A portion of the proceeds will go towards the Austin Parks Foundation. Tickets are $95, $20 for children between the ages of seven and 12, and free for children younger than that. There are two seatings, one at 6 p.m. and the other at 8 p.m. (1807 South First Street, Bouldin Creek)
Monday, July 3
- New American restaurant Launderette is hosting a seafood boil again for the holiday. The $75 boil includes lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, sausages, corn, and potatoes, plus family-style sides, and desserts. Reservations for dine-in and takeout orders have to be placed online. Dine-in service is from noon to 8 p.m., with takeout orders available from 3 to 5 p.m. (2115 Holly Street, Holly)
- Casual restaurant Better Half and sibling brewery Hold Out Brewing are hosting Honky Tonk Amnesia again, which will play records from Willie Nelson’s 1975 Fourth of July Picnic show while offering food and drink specials from 6 to 9 p.m. Expect food also from pop-up Zee’s Wiener. (406 Walsh Street, West Austin)
Tuesday, July 4
- Rhode Islander hot dog pop-up Zee’s Wiener System is providing the franks for the hot dog-eating competition at the Mohawk. The winner will get entry to any show for a year at the venue plus other goods. There are also two live musical performances. Tickets are $10; interested competitors must buy a ticket and fill out the online form; and the event begins at 3 p.m. (912 Red River Street, Downtown)
- Sports bar and restaurant Black Sheep Lodge is running its corn hot dog-eating contest again at 2 p.m., along with food and drink specials. People who would like to enter should email firstname.lastname@example.org, and there’s a $20 entry fee, which goes towards nonprofit Helping Hand Home for Children. (2108 South Lamar Boulevard, Zilker)
- Black Sheep’s sibling bar Haymaker is also bringing back its annual pickled egg-eating contest for the Fourth. $20 entry fees and a portion of the day’s sales will go towards Helping Hand Home for Children. The contest begins at 4 p.m.; those who would like to compete should email email@example.com. (2310 Manor Road, Cherrywood)
- Nickel City is hosting its coney dog-eating contest again this year. Signups take place in person starting at 2 p.m. with the actual showdown at 4 p.m. (1133 East 11th Street, Central East Austin)
- Cider Fairweather Cider Co. and on-site truck Spicy Boys are celebrating the Fourth with boozy frozen cocktails and hot dogs from noon to 6 p.m. at the parking lot. (10609 Metric Boulevard, North Austin)
- South Austin’s Hotel Magdalena’s July 4th pool party includes grilled food like chicken and vegetable skewers, drinks, live music, and games from 3 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $55. (1101 Music Lane Austin, Travis Heights)
Missing a big Fourth of July party above? Let Eater know through the tipline or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update, Friday, June 30, 12:35 p.m.: This guide, originally published on June 22, has been updated to include additional specials and parties.