It’s now Election Day in now open in Travis County for the Texas midterm elections, and Austin restaurants are ready to encourage people to go out and perform their civic duties in the form of free or discounted food for voters.
It’s important to note that, technically, offering free food and drinks to voters is illegal. However, restaurants can legally get around that by opening up these offers to everyone, even those without “I Voted” stickers.
Here are the Austin restaurants offering free food or discounts to voters (and, legally, non-voters). Texas’s early voting period runs from Monday, October 24 through Friday, November 4, and election day is Tuesday, November 8.
- Banger’s: The beer garden is offering 50 percent off the first pints of beer with stickers.
- Black Star Co-op: First beers at the brewpub on Election Day will be one dollar with stickers during its results watch party. (7020 Easy Wind Drive, Crestview)
- Easy Tiger: All locations of the bakery mini-chain are offering a free cookie to people with stickers from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. (multiple locations)
- Home Slice North Loop/More Home Slice: The pizzeria will offer a free slice to people with stickers from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Election Day. (Home Slice: 501 East 53rd Street, North Loop; More: 1415 South Congress Avenue, Travis Heights)
- Jo’s Coffee: The first 20 people who stop by any of the locations of the coffee shop with their stickers can get a free drip coffee. After that, drinks are 20 percent off. (multiple locations)
- Kebabalicious: The Turkish food-truck-turned-restaurant is offering 20 percent off orders with an “I Voted” sticker. (1311 East Seventh Street, East Austin)
- Kerbey Lane Cafe: The diner mini-chain is offering a free pancake to people with stickers on Election Day (people who vote early are encouraged to keep their stickers for Election Day). (multiple locations)
- Soup Peddler: All locations of the soup and sandwich shop are offering a free cup of soup to people with stickers during early voting and on Election Day who are also buying sandwiches and/or salads. (multiple locations)
- Stouthaus Coffee: The coffee shop will give 15 percent drink discounts to people with stickers on Election Day. (4715 South Lamar Boulevard, Sunset Valley)
- Taco Flats: All locations of the taco restaurant will offer 20 percent off orders through early voting and Election Day with stickers. (multiple locations)
- The Tigress Pub: The bar will be offering unnamed specials for voters during its watch party on Election Day. (100 West North Loop Boulevard, North Loop)
- Tiny Diner: The Native Japanese comfort food restaurant is offering 10 percent off orders with stickers all week long. (807 East Fourth Street, East Austin)
Update, Tuesday, November 8, 4:07 p.m.: This article, originally published on October 27, has been updated to include additional offers.