The unofficial beginning of the summer is right around the corner with Memorial Day weekend on Friday, May 22 through Monday, May 25. While celebrations are different this year since larger social gatherings are still banned in Austin, there are local restaurants offering to-go food and drink specials, for socially distanced picnics and at home parties.
From lobster meals at Garbo’s to barbecue packs from Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, here’s what to order for your takeout and delivery Memorial Day weekend needs.
Know of a Memorial Day takeout special or food-/drink-related virtual event missing? Let Eater know through the tipline or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aviary Wine & Kitchen: The wine restaurant is selling several cooking packs for Memorial Day weekend through its website, including a pimento cheese burger kit, a St. Louis rib pack. and a whole chicken one. Place orders online. (2110 South Lamar Blvd, Zilker)
- Barley Swine: The New Texan finer dining restaurant will offer to-go Memorial Day-themed family meal packs sometime this week, and yes, wine will be included. Order through its website once the week’s offerings are live for pickups from Friday to Sunday, 5 to 7 p.m. (6555 Burnet Road, Brentwood)
- Black Star Co-Op: The brewery restaurant is selling preorderable burger kits for the weekend, one with meat and the other with Impossible meat. Pickups take place on Monday, May 25. (7020 Easy Wind Drive, Crestview)
- Brew & Brew: The beer shop is putting together a cooler pack of six beers for $35.99, available for pickups placed online. (500 San Marcos Street, East Austin)
- Comedor: The upscale Mexican restaurant is selling a whole oysters and champagne meal kit for Memorial Day weekend, available for deliveries placed online.
- Contigo: The restaurant is offering its own Memorial Day grilling package for $55, which comes with ready-to-be-cooked meats (brats, burgers, chicken wings), challah buns, potato salad, sauerkraut and optional bottle of wine. Orders can be placed online for pickups. (2027 Anchor Lane, MLK)
- Contigo Catering: The $100 Memorial Day meal package from Contigo’s catering branch features an entire chile- and yogurt-marinated chicken, spice-rubbed skirt steak, vegetables, and watermelon for dessert. Orders must be placed by Tuesday, May 19 at noon for pickup and delivery on Friday, May 22. (3709 Promontory Point Drive, Suite B201, Southeast Austin)
- Easy Tiger: The bakery is selling a bunch of Memorial Day weekend items, from the $50 grill pack with sausages and buns, brownies, salads, and buns, available for pickups placed online. (6406 North Interstate 35 Frontage Road, Linc)
- Garbo’s: The seafood restaurant is offering a giant lobster meal package for $175. It comes with four lobsters, salad, and a six-pack of Austin Beerworks beer. Preorders are being accepted now for pickups on Sunday and Monday, May 24 and 25. (14735 Bratton Lane, Wells Branch)
- Hopfields: The gastropub is offering a pickup picnic basket for Memorial Day weekend for $110. It comes with two of three sandwiches, pickled vegetables, a cheese board, an apple dessert, and a wine bottle. Orders can be placed online or through the phone. (3110 Guadalupe Street, North Campus)
- Launderette: The New American restaurant is offering family-style picnics for Memorial Day weekend, with curbside pickups available on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. There’s a fried chicken option and a bratwurst option. Additional desserts including coconut cream pies, strawberry-buttermilk tarts, and cookies are available, as well as cocktail kits. Orders can be placed online or through the phone. (2115 Holly Street, Holly)
- Nate’s Baked Goods: The Clarksville-adjacent bakery is selling its own Memorial Day picnic package with sandwiches, salads, spreads, and deserts. There’s a two-person option for $45 and a four-person one for $85. Orders are taken by phone at (512) 220-0462, text message at (512) 922-0037, or email at email@example.com. Orders also must be placed by noon on May 22 for deliveries or pickups on Sunday or Monday. (401 Orchard Street, near Clarksville)
- Old Thousand: The Chinese-American restaurant is selling a Memorial Day grilling package for $50. It includes either beef ribs or whole chicken, plus various sides including but not limited to ten-spice baked beans, kimchi macaroni salad, and banana pudding mooncakes. Orders are to be placed over the phone at (737) 222-6637 for Monday pickups. (1000 East 11th Street, Central East Austin)
- Russian House: The downtown restaurant is offering a tandoori chicken meal for Memorial Day weekend for pickups. (307 East Fifth Street, Downtown)
- Spread & Co.: The restaurant is offering its own burger kit, along with an apple pie special, for Memorial Day weekend. Orders are placed online for pickups on Saturday or Sunday. (1601 West 38th Street, Rosedale)
- Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop: The South First location of the bakery has two Memorial day desserts available this holiday weekend, through Sunday, May 24 for pickups and deliveries. There’s the fully loaded dessert board with a whole cake, brownies, tarts, macarons, and more and then there are summer-perfect pies. (1905 South First Street, Bouldin Creek)
- TLC: The Texas seafood restaurant is offering two Memorial Day-themed meal packages with assorted seafood boils (snow crab, shrimp, sausages) and various sides for pickups. (1100 South Lamar Boulevard, Zilker)
- Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ: The South Austin Tex-Mex barbecue trailer is offering Memorial Day preorders on whole barbecue staples (brisket, chicken, pork butts, racks of pork spare ribs), as well as its Tex and Mex packs (featuring meats, sides, tortillas, bread, etc.) Orders must be placed through its website tonight, Monday, May 18 for pickups on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25. (11500 Menchaca Road, Manchaca)
- Wink: The New American restaurant put together a five-course barbecue meal for Memorial Day weekend. There’s braised and grilled baby back pork ribs, salads, cornbread, and peach cobbler with optional wines. The two-person package is $65 and four-person $120. The deadline for orders, placed over the phone at (512) 482-8868, is Friday, May 22, and pickups are available on Saturday. (1014 North Lamar Boulevard, Clarksville)
Update, May 22, 12:38 p.m. This article, originally published on Tuesday, May 18, has been updated to include additional Memorial Day specials.