With South by Southwest canceled due to concerns about the global coronavirus pandemic, many Austin restaurants and bars are now stuck with enormous quantities of food and supplies that were intended for 10 days of events, parties, private dinners, and swarms of roaming attendees. Hoping to waste as little of it as possible, a number of local spots are offering food and drink specials, while a Facebook group has emerged to connect businesses and people looking to sell, trade, or buy goods intended for SXSW. Likewise, Austin organizations and businesses are rallying to help support the service industry in the wake of SXSW’s cancellation through fundraisers and bar events.
- Austin-based cookie company Wunderkeks had made 25,000 cookies for its SXSW pop-up shop at Royal Blue Grocery which isn’t happening anymore. So the business is now offering a discounted special on three half-dozen cookie packages for $25 (usually $36) dubbed the Surviving SXSW’s Cancellation Pack. (Online)
- North Lamar Korean restaurant Seoulju had bought a lot of soju ahead of SXSW for the festival and just in case deliveries from South Korea were impacted because of the outbreak. The restaurant is now selling discounted carafes of its house soju, Jinro Chamisul Fresh, for $10. (9515 North Lamar Boulevard, North Lamar)
- Austin gelato shop Gelateria Gemelli is partnering with catering commissary The Cook’s Nook and Joi Chevalier to make use of what would’ve been wasted SXSW-related food. The East Sixth shop will host lunch and dinner pop-ups during what would’ve been SXSW week. Owner Andy Sabola is also looking to connect with other businesses that are looking to help with the events. (1009 East Sixth Street, East Austin)
- Downtown Mexican restaurant La Condesa will still use all of its SXSW-intended produce and ingredients. Executive chef Rick Lopez will create specials using the ingredients, including a tomahawk ribeye, fried chicken tortas, and tostada de tartare. It’ll be available from Friday, March 13 through Friday, March 21, for lunch, happy hour, dinner, and brunch. (400 West Second Street, Downtown)
- East Austin hotel bar Gin Bar is giving away free pistachio ice cream sandwiches, which were made for a SXSW event, to guests. (1813 East 6th Street, East Austin)
Know of other local restaurants, bars, and vendors offering discounts on surplus items? Let Eater know via email@example.com or through the tipline.
- All Coverage of SXSW [EATX]