Austin pizzeria mini-chain East Side Pies closed up its Crestview restaurant on 1809 West Anderson Lane in mid-August, as reported by CultureMap Austin. Co-owner Michael Freid explained via Nextdoor that that the decision to close this location was made because it was already near another one of its restaurants on Airport Boulevard. That location remains open, as does the Rosewood Avenue and the Austin-Bergstrom Airport restaurants.
Franklin Barbecue’s Shepherd’s Pie
Franklin Barbecue pitmaster Aaron Franklin participated in celebrated pastry chef Dominique Ansel’s recurring Pie Nights, which took place yesterday. It’s where the New York bakery offers up unlimited slices of various pies for a fixed time and reservations. Franklin’s contribution was a brisket shepherd’s pie, naturally.
Barbecue Festival Tickets
The eagerly awaited Texas Monthly BBQ Fest is taking place again this November, where 31 barbecue joints from across the state will gather in Austin to serve up smoked meats. Austin places participating include La Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats, Stiles Switch, Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, Terry Black’s, and Cooper’s. New to the lineup, which is sourced from the publication’s best barbecue of the state list, is Blood Bros. BBQ in Bellaire. Scope out the full lineup below.
The main event is on Sunday, November 3 at the Long Center. General admission tickets are $80 with VIP with early entry at $165. Before the barbecue festival, there are two events happening on Saturday, November 2. There’s an educational event at Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew (which is already sold out), and a party at Franklin Barbecue with other barbecue joints not serving at the main event. While the class is sold out, there are still tickets available to the evening party for $125.
Bon Appetit’s Best New Restaurants Long List
Food magazine Bon Appetit released its long list of the 50 potential best new restaurants of the country for the year. The only Austin inclusion is South Austin hotel restaurant Carpenters Hall, where BA’s editor-at-large Andrew Knowlton is involved with. The website had changed its main image from the Carpenters’s chicken schnitzel to a photo of another restaurant’s dining room and open kitchen after the list was published, as well as added a disclosure. The winners will be announced next week on Tuesday, September 17.
Best Barbecue List
Speaking of barbecue, Southern Living released its list of the 50 best barbecue places in the South. For Austin, this includes Franklin Barbecue, Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, and Micklethwait Craft Meats, as well as nearby spots Snow’s BBQ, Louie Mueller Barbecue, and Kreuz Market.
Texas Monthly BBQ Fest’s Barbecue Lineup
- 2M Smokehouse (San Antonio)
- Baker Boys BBQ (Gonzalez)
- BBQ on the Brazos (Cresson)
- Blood Bros. BBQ (Bellaire)
- Cattleack Barbeque (Dallas)
- Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que (Austin)
- Evie Mae’s Pit Barbecue (Wolfforth)
- The Granary Cue & Brew (San Antonio)
- Guess Family Barbecue (Waco)
- Hays Co. Bar-B-Que (San Marcos)
- Heim Barbecue (Fort Worth)
- Hutchins BBQ (Frisco/McKinney)
- Joseph’s Riverport B-B-Q (Jefferson)
- Killen’s Barbecue (Pearland)
- La Barbecue (Austin)
- Lockhart Smokehouse (Dallas)
- Louie Mueller Barbecue (Taylor)
- Micklethwait Craft Meats (Austin)
- Miller’s Smokehouse (Belton)
- Pinkerton’s Barbecue (Houston)
- Pody’s BBQ (Pecos)
- Roegels Barbecue Co. (Houston)
- Smolik’s Smokehouse (Mathis)
- Snow’s BBQ (Lexington)
- Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew (Austin)
- Stillwater Barbeque (Abilene)
- Tejas Chocolate Craftory (Tomball)
- Terry Black’s Barbecue (Austin)
- Truth BBQ (Brenham)
- Tyler’s Barbeque (Amarillo)
- Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ (Austin)