Boston chef and multiple James Beard Award nominee Matthew Jennings is coming to Austin to cook up a collaborative brunch during South by Southwest at Launderette on 2115 Holly Street in the Holly neighborhood on Sunday, March 10 from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Along with Launderette executive chef Rene Ortiz and pastry chef Laura Sawicki, Jennings’ Refresh Brunch will consist of healthier foods, from chia seed pudding with fruits and hemp seed granola; whipped ricotta toast; tea-smoked trout eggs Benedicts, to shakshuka. Scope out the full menu below.
For special diets, there will be vegan and vegetarian options, as well as a dairy-free dish. There will be cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks as well designed by each chef.
Jennings closed his acclaimed three-year-old Boston restaurant Townsman in 2018. He went to consult at hospitality company Full Heart. This is also when he started to take care of himself by not drinking and eating healthier.
Jennings will be in Austin anyway, speaking on a SXSW panel about his changes.
The brunch is available by walk-ins only (no reservations are being accepted).
Refresh Brunch Menu:
- Chia Seed Pudding with coconut cream, lemon curd, hemp seed granola, kiwi, berries - $10 (*V; *GF)
- Carrot Flax Seed Bread with apple butter - $4 (*V)
- Black Bean Brownie Cake Doughnuts - $5 (*V+; *GF)
- Breakfast Salad with ruby red grapefruit, avocado, satsuma, radish, agave dressing - $8 (*V+; *GF)
- Whipped Ricotta Toast with marinated strawberry, basil, honey, bee pollen, grilled sourdough - $10 (*V)
- Butternut Squash pirogies with Greek yogurt, puffed wild rice, Aleppo chili oil - $12 (*V)
- Steel Cut Oats with pecan milk, pepitas, blood orange, walnut granola - $10 (*V; *GF)
- Sonoran Wheat Pancakes with blueberry maple compote, creme fraiche - $14 (*V)
- Honey Wheat Bagel with salmon gravlax, cream cheese, dressed tomato, shallot, capers, sprouts, caraway quinoa crunch - $16
- Sunshine Bowl with turmeric hummus, sprouted bean, pickled beet, quinoa, butternut squash, tahini dressing - $14 (*V)
- Farmhouse Hash with macro-pressed broccoli, spinach, tomato conserva, roasted potatoes, pickled radish, sunny eggs - $14 (*V; *DF)
- Refresh “Full Breakfast” with sunny eggs, chicken sausage, royal white beans, tomato, oyster mushroom, sourdough toast - $16 (*DF)
- Tea-smoked Trout Benny with quinoa potato cake, poached eggs, grilled tuscan kale, yuzu hollandaise, sesame furikake - $20 (*GF)
- Shakshuka with baked eggs, tomato gravy, coriander, paprika, goat feta, parsley, focaccia - $14 (*V)
- Shrimp & Grits with shishito butter, Barton Springs Mill white grits, Manos de Dios, fine herbs - $20 (*GF)
- Chicken Sausage Patty - $6 (*GF; *DF)
- Royal White Beans with tomato, crumbled tempeh - $4 (*V+)
- Grilled Asparagus - $6 (*V+; *GF)
- Butter Lettuce with turmeric yogurt dressing - $5 (*V)
*NOTE: *V denotes a vegetarian dish; *V+ denotes a vegan dish; *DF denotes a dairy-free dish; *GF denotes a gluten-free friendly dish