Thirsty Planet Brewing Company is whipping up a purple beer, the Cosmic Butterfly. The Berliner Weisse-style kettle sour is made with blue butterfly pea flowers, which give the beer its bright purple color. It will be available in bottles. The brewery had launched the beer last spring as Special Brewskis, though only in a small batch.
Texas AG Investigates San Antonio Chick-fil-A Block
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is going to examine whether the San Antonio City Council was allowed to block Chick-fil-A’s potential opening in the airport. Originally, a council member said that it was because of Chick-fil-A’s ongoing donations to anti-LGBTQ foundations, but another person apologized for that statement and Mayor Ron Nirenberg said that they wanted the airport to feature San Antonio establishments rather than national chains.
City Council Supports Brewery’s Beer-to-Go Sales
The Austin City Council passed HB 672, the house bill that would allow for Texas craft breweries to sell beers-to-go. Next up: the Texas Senate will have to pass the house bill’s counterpart, SB 312 in order for it to be fully legalized.
Live Fire Menu
The full menu for Live Fire, the beef-centric food event from the Austin Food & Wine Alliance, is here. The whole Mexico-inspired affair will feature salt-cured beef in the sun from San Antonio’s Carnitas Lonja, beef tongue wrapped in banana leaves from La Flaca, barbacoa jalapeno poppers from LeRoy & Lewis, and more beef dishes. Scope out the full menu below. The event takes place on Thursday, April 4 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at Camp Mabry.
Ramen DJ Night
Ramen Tatsu-ya’s Tatsu Aikawa is DJing for a Beautiful Destinations/Visit Austin video shoot at Plush on Red River. The music night is open to the public, though those over the age of 21 years old, on Saturday, March 30 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. It’s a whole DJ battle between the Table Manners group and the Tatsu-ya team.
Live Fire’s Menu
- Asador Mexican Barbecue, Joe Becerra - Smoked Brisket en Mole Tamarindo
- ATX Cocina Modern Mexican, Kevin Taylor - Beef Steamship - Pastor-Style
- Carnitas Lonja (San Antonio), Alejandro Paredes - Cecina - Salt-Cured Beef in the Sun
- Chispas, Jason Dady – Charred Ribeye Tacos with Rajas con Crema, Pico de Gallo, & Salsa Macha
- Cold Ones Pops, Brent Fogerty – Toasted Rice Horchata Cold Brew Pop, Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudgesicle
- Dai Due Taqueria, Stephanie Garcia - Tacos de Cachete - Beef Cheek Tacos with Fresh Corn Tortillas
- Dude, Sweet Chocolate (Dallas), Katherine Clapner - Rose Royals Truffles - Rose Petal Jam, Kimo Sabe Mezcal
- El Alma Café, Alma Alcocer-Thomas - Barbacoa Tacos with Epazote Tortillas
- La Condesa, Rick Lopez - Smoked Beef Fat Flour Quesadilla - Beef Cheek Barbacoa, Quesillo, Bone Marrow Salsa
- La Flaca Urban Gardens, Alejandra Rodriguez Boughton - Salpicon de Res - Beef Tongue Wrapped in Banana Leaves with Herbs, Served with Pickled Radish, Cucumber, Chile Piquin & Mexican Oregano; Herb Salsa with Cilantro, Mint & Epazote; Tostada with Fuego Salt
- La Panaderia (San Antonio) David Cáceres - Tequila Almond Croissant
- Launderette, Sasha Grumman - Smoked Beef Barbacoa with Guajillo, Pineapple & Bacon Fat Tortilla
- LeRoy & Lewis Barbecue, Evan LeRoy - Barbacoa Jalapeño Popper
- Licha’s Cantina, Daniel Brooks – Grilled Arrachera Steak Tacos with Salsa Ceniza, Beer-Stewed Onions, Cilantro Tortillas
- Mixtli (San Antonio), Rico Torres & Diego Galicia - Alambres - Skewered Steak, Peppers, Onion, Salsa Bar
- Nixta Taqueria, Edgar Rico - Carne Crudo Tostada - Beef Tartare, Grilled Nopales, Mole-Cured Egg Yolks
- Rules & Regs, Andre Natera & Daniel Noguera - Beef Barbacoa Tacos
- SRSLY Chocolate, Bob Williamson - Mole Bar: Dark Chocolate Bar with Chiles, Spices & Candied Sesame Brittle
- Suerte, Fermín Núñez - Dobladita de Picadillo y Quesillo
- Taco Flats, Simon Madera – Taco de Arrachera al Carbon de Mesquite
- Texas Beef Council, Robert Hale – Braised Texas Beef Mexican-Style Pot Roast Tacos with Al Pastor Sauce & Fresh Pico de Gallo; plus Chef Janelle Reynolds, Rosedale Kitchen & Bar – Texas Tri-Tip with Grilled Broccoli & Chimichurri
- Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, Miguel Vidal – Cerveza-Marinated Beef Fajita Tacos & Mesquite-Smoked Quail