Casual MLK shop Batch Craft Beer & Kolaches is finally opening its next-door brewery Batch Brewhouse & Bugroom this month. The 3220 Manor Road brewery will debut next week starting on Friday, November 8.
There’s more, too: barbecue truck Micklethwait Craft Meats (which already provides brisket for Batch’s kolaches) is going to open a new food truck at the kolache shop and brewery. Micklethwait already provides brisket for Batch’s kolaches, so this partnership makes sense. What the new food truck will entail isn’t known at this point, but maybe it’ll serve up sandwiches like its old sandwich truck.
The brewery is being led by head brewery John Snyder and Heath Shuford (who will be running Batch’s IPA production). The beer program is a wide-ranging one, with table beers, IPAs, barrel-aged sours, beers intended to pair with food, etc. The initial lineup comprises the following six tapped beers:
- Galaxies Collide: an ale fermented with cabernet sauvignon, lavender, hibiscus, and rose hips
- B.Y.N.: a dry-hopped table beer that’s refermented with pineapple
- Ha Ha Saison: a five-grain, Nelson dry-hopped saison made with native Texas yeast
- Sjöfen: a strawberry farmhouse ale
- Cottonmouth DDH Baustin: an IPA hopped with Citra, Columbus, and Idaho 7
- Ferus Flower: a wild jasmine pale ale
Then there’s the one bottled beer, which will be available from Batch’s beer fridge: the Urwagwa, an African banana ale made with wild yeast, which happens to be gluten-free.
The brewery had always been in the plan for co-owners Noah and Josh Lit when they opened the kolache shop in August 2017. They launched a Kickstarter earlier this year to help fund the construction, but had to cancel the campaign because it violated the company’s policies about offering alcohol and the such as rewards.
The brewery itself features two halves, the regular brewin room and then the funky barrel room, which the Lits are calling the BugRoom, which will feature an array of containers to be used for aging beer, like barrels, puncheons, stainless steel drums, etc. The brewery will offer public tours by request.
To kick-off the opening, it’s hosting a weekend long party with tours, kolache specials, and live music from Friday, November 8 through Sunday, November 10.
- Kolache and Beer Haven Batch Is Opening an Austin Brewery [EATX]
- Batch Brewhouse & Bugroom [Instagram]
- All Coverage of Batch [EATX]