Classic Austin restaurant Hut’s Hamburgers opened its second-ever location within the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport this week. It’s found where Saxon Pub had been located across the way from Gate 14.
Along with those time-honored burgers, fries, and onion rings, Hut’s airport restaurant will also serve up breakfast with tacos and avocado toast. For drinks, there are cocktails, beer, and wine. The space includes table and bar seating.
Hut’s is part of the Austin airport’s ambitious restaurant and bar overhaul, which added a ton of local names to the transportation center. Saxon Pub doesn’t appear to be reopeneing elsewhere within the airport.
The original Hut’s opened in 1939 on South Congress, and then relocated over to 807 West 6th Street in 1969. Current owners Mike and Kim Hutchinson bought the restaurant in 1981. They then opened nearby pizzeria and Italian restaurant Frank and Angie’s in 1995, but closed that in November 2018 because of lack of general affordability.
- Hut’s Hamburgers Opens, Phase 1 of Expansion Build at 90 Percent [Austin-Bergstrom International Airport]
- A Guide to Austin Airport’s Upcoming New Dining Restaurants and Bars [EATX]
- All Coverage of Hut’s Hamburgers [EATX]