Loro, the Asian smokehouse from Tyson Cole and Aaron Franklin, is closed today for lunch and dinner, Tuesday, July 24. The temporary shutter is because of a kitchen hood malfunction, which caused a smoke incident last night.
Update, July 25: Loro will remain closed for lunch today.
Update, July 26, 9:13 a.m.: The restaurant was still closed for dinner last night, and won’t open for lunch today, July 26 either. It’s hoping to reopen for dinner. Watch this space for updates.
Update, July 26, 10:42 a.m.: Never mind: the restaurant is reopening for lunch today.
Around 8 p.m. on Monday, July 23, the Austin Fire Department was called because the Loro staff smelled something in the kitchen. Fire trucks were sent to the 2115 South Lamar Boulevard address, and the restaurant was promptly evacuated. The AFD initially hought there was a fire in exhaust system, but the alarm was downgraded.
Loro was initially going to close for lunch today because of the smoke. Then it decided to remain closed for dinner as well, because it is waiting for a replacement part for the kitchen hood.
Someone on Twitter noticed that there was a fire truck outside of the South Lamar restaurant during the evening of Saturday, July 21 too, but it didn’t seem to be a major incident.
- Loro [Twitter]
- Austin Fire Info [Facebook]
- All Coverage of Loro [EATX]