Casino El Camino, the East 6th Street dive bar and burger restaurant, caught on fire early Sunday morning, and no one was hurt. The fire began because of a malfunction in the ventilation system ductwork within the kitchen between the first and second floors of the building, according to the Austin Fire Department.
Smoke was spotted from the 2nd floor of the building on 517 East 6th Street, as reported by the Austin Fire Department, sometime around 2 a.m. on Sunday, April 23. There were 20 people in the bar at the time (the fire department said Casino’s staff “did [an] excellent job in evacuating” people from the premises. The area between Red River and East 6th streets were closed off from traffic at the time.
The fire was put out around 3 a.m. They estimated that there was $20,000 worth of fire damage to the building.
The Austin Fire Department shared a video of the scene:
Casino El Camino pic.twitter.com/ZL55GrXcbB— Austin Fire Info (@AustinFireInfo) April 22, 2018
Owner Paul Eighmey opened Casino El Camino on East 6th Street in 1994. It appeared on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives in 2008 for its bar food. The bar/restaurant opened a southern bar-only location, Casino South Side Lounge, on West Ben White Boulevard in 2013.
- Austin Fire Department [Twitter]
- All Coverage of Casino El Camino [EATX]