The Texas Monthly BBQ Fest took place for the ninth time this past weekend, with the festival’s crowd clamoring for smoked meats at some of the best barbecue joints from around the state. Relive the madness with Eater’s barbecue hangover observations:
• Many vendors offered desserts this year. Mama Truth’s chocolate cake was tops with Eater writer Erin Russell.
• The vegan protestors returned.
• Stiles Switch BBQ offered a chili-cheese-fry sausage.
• Many attendees brought trays to cart off their smoked meat offerings.
• The crowds were just as massive as ever.
• Chefs got more creative this year than just brisket and sausages. Restaurants offered smoked meats on top of cheese grits and microgreens, pickled green beans, chili-relleno-stuffed sausage, and many tacos.
• Barbecue favorites Truth and Snow’s had very long lines, and Stiles Switch sold out.
Take a look around the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest here, with Eater photographer Robert J. Lerma.