Austin Monthly’s list of Best New Restaurants was released on Friday, and The Brewer’s Table garnered top ranking. The magazine praised the “intriguing narrative” of the beer-focused restaurant, which opened in April, and honored eight other newcomers to the Austin dining scene.
Austin Monthly critic Jolène M. Bouchon noted that this year in dining has been “tumultuous” but that ultimately, “the best new eateries of the year embodied the kind of laid-back, convivial ease we Austinites pride ourselves on.” She praised The Brewer’s Table’s dedication to sustainability, excellent service, entwined beer and food program, and of course, that famous ice cream cone:
The pinnacle of this interplay is the sweet-salty three-bite ice cream cone. Toasted barley ice cream sits atop a nutty beer-grain waffle cone stoppered by a glob of saline yeast caramel, drizzled with hops honey.
Rounding out the best new restaurant list are:
- Suerte (“a temple to corn, specifically heirloom corn from central Texas that’s milled and nixtamalized in-house.”)
- Lin Asian Bar (“oh, the chicken shiitake sui mai!”)
- La Matta (“it’s that simplicity that makes it so special—and so especially Italian”)
- Intero (“Though we found some of the dishes uneven, there’s something about the intimate spot that hooked us.”)
- Yuyo (“This Peruvian hotspot introduces Austin to fresh tastes.”)
- Fareground (“basically a bougie version of a food court with much, much better food.”)
- Better Half (“all the convenience and comfort of your favorite cafe and bar, but better.”)
- Sour Duck Market (“easygoing vibe and exceptional offerings”)