Austin Tex-Mex restaurant El Chilito quietly closed its 6425 Burnet Road location without any notice on Monday, October 29.
An Eater tipster noticed that the Brentwood restaurant was no longer on El Chilito’s official website and its phone number is disconnected. An El Chilito staffer at the Manor Road restaurant also confirmed the shutter, who said that it closed because it wasn’t “busy.”
El Chile Group’s mini-Tex-Mex chain opened the Burnet Road location in 2016, after numerous delays. There are still three other locations in Austin: Manor Road, East 7th, and Manchaca.
El Chile Group isn’t new to restaurant shutters and switcheroos:
- The group’s current Peruvian restaurant Yuyo took over what had been its Tex-Mex burger restaurant El Sapo on Manor Road (which was originally the Flat Top Burger Shop).
- El Sapo moved down to 900 West 10th Street but closed after three months of service.
- The group’s other Tex-Mex restaurant El Chile closed its original Manor Road location to relocate to South First in 2013, but then they changed that South Austin restaurant into Latin seafood spot Alcomar in 2015.
- Alcomar closed earlier this year, and El Chile reopened on Manor Road anyway in 2013.
Along with the still-open locations of El Chilito, El Chile, and Yuyo, the El Chile Group also operates Barton Springs restaurant El Alma.
- All Coverage of El Chilito [EATX]
- All Coverage of El Chilito Burnet [EATX]