It’s election season in Austin: early voting begins in Texas today through Friday, November 2 with Election Day on Tuesday, November 6. The biggest race is for the Texas Senate seat between Democratic candidate Beto O’Rourke and Republican candidate Ted Cruz, as well as Austin’s mayoral race, city council district seats, and various propositions, among others.
To encourage people to get out and vote now, Austin restaurants are offering specials to those who can prove they voted. While technically, offering free food and drinks to voters is illegal, but restaurants can legally get around that by opening up the offers to everyone, even those without “I Voted” stickers.
This guide will be updated up through Election Day, and keep an eye out for Eater’s guide to the best places to watch the election results.
- Fast-casual shop Bird Bird Biscuit will offer a free biscuit with apple jam to anyone who can prove they voted early with their sticker or receipt. (2701 Manor Road, Cherrywood)
- Taco trailer Vaquero Taquero will offer 20 percent discounts on single tacos for those with “I Voted” stickers, and 40 percent of the same discount to those with “Yo voté” stickers throughout the early voting period, as well as on Election Day. (East 43rd Street and Duval Streets, Hyde Park)
- South Austin wine restaurant Winebelly will give free wine to early voters who have their stickers. (519 West Oltorf Street, Dawson)
- Those with “I Voted” stickers can stop by both locations of Jo’s Coffee and get 20 percent off non-boozy drinks just on Tuesday, October 23. (1300 South Congress Avenue, Bouldin; 242 West 2nd Street, Downtown)
- Korean restaurant College Roadhouse will hand out a free fries basket to those early voters with “I Voted” stickers through Thursday, October 25. (9515 North Lamar Boulevard, North Lamar)
- All three locations of Turf N Surf (attached to Lavaca Street Bar) are offering 20 percent off nachos on Election Day to those with “I Voted” stickers.
- Downtown hotel restaurant Caroline will offer 15 percent meals on Election Day to people with stickers. (109 East 7th Street, Downtown)
- Early voters with stickers can receive a free draft beer at Hotel Ella. (1900 Rio Grande Street, West Campus)
- Those who buy coffee at Wright Bros. Brew & Brew on Election Day can receive a free bagel and plain cream cheese from Rosen’s Bagels. (500 San Marcos Street, East Austin)
- Govalle brewery-restaurant Brewer’s Table will give out free desserts, specifically its mini-toasted barley ice cream cones, to voters. (4715 East 5th Street, Govalle)
- South Austin restaurant Thai Fresh is giving out a free ice cream scoop to voters with stickers. (909 West Mary Street, Bouldin)
- East Austin wine bar Apt 115 is taking two dollars off everything on its menu, as well as offering dollar beers and $5 glasses of wine to voters with stickers. (2025 East 7th Street, Holly)
- For voters with tickets, downtown hotel the W and its restaurant Trace is offering day-long happy hour pricing. (200 Lavaca Street, Downtown)
- All Shake Shack locations will give out free french fries with meal purchases to people with “I Voted” stickers on Election Day. (1100 South Lamar Boulevard, Zilker; 11228 Domain Drive, Domain)
- Downtown French restaurant Le Politique is offering half-off first glasses of bubbles to voters with stickers on Election Day. (110 San Antonio Street, Downtown)
- South Austin winery Infinite Monkey Theorem is offering $2 off glasses of wine to voters on Election Day and is streaming the results. (121 Pickle Road, Dawson)