With hot, hot weather on deck, the promise of summer is right around the corner by way of Memorial Day this weekend. Kick off those work outfits, throw on some summer gear, and check out all outdoor parties and food specials happening around Austin this week. There’s everything from strawberry cream pies from Dripping Springs bakery Abby Jane Bakeshop, barbecue and whiskey at Hill Country distillery Treaty Oak, and crawfish boils galore. The long holiday takes place from Friday, May 28, through Monday, May 31.
Everything below is listed in chronological order.
Through Monday, May 31
- Bakery Abby Jane Bakeshop is offering a bunch of dessert and bread specials for the holiday. There are strawberry cream pies, chocolate chip cookies, sugar starts, and both hot dog and burger buns. The deadline for online orders is midnight on Thursday, May 27, with pickups on Saturday and Sunday, May 29 and 30. Likewise, the bakery is offering a pizza special for the long holiday, the Cheeseburger in Paradise, topped with ground beef, cheddar, white and pickled red onions, pickles, and more. It’s available for on-site and takeout orders starting on Thursday, May 27. (16604 Fitzhugh Road, Dripping Springs)
Friday, May 28 through Monday, May 31
- The Concession Stand, the joint restaurant from venues/bars Hotel Vegas and the Volstead, are putting together a to-go picnic basket for the long holiday weekend. It comes with fried chicken wings, deviled eggs topped with everything seasoning, and a watermelon salad. It’s $18 for one person and $28 for two. It’s available for web-ordering as well as in-person purchases for in-person pickups from 5 p.m. to midnight on Friday, May 28; noon to midnight Saturday, May 29; noon to 10 p.m. Sunday, May 30; and 5 to 10 p.m. Monday, May 31. (1502 East Sixth Street, East Austin)
- Baked goods service Cookie Rich put together a color-themed box of thick sugar cookies for the holiday. The 12-cookie-box is available for pickups and DoorDash deliveries through preorders. (2201 North Lamar Boulevard, West Campus)
Saturday, May 29 through Monday, May 31
- East Austin brewery Lazarus Brewing Co. is celebrating its fourth anniversary with a long holiday weekend party. There are special draft and canned beers, live music, and food specials. (1902 East Sixth Street, Holly)
Saturday, May 29
- Hill Country distillery Treaty Oak Distilling’s shindig features barbecue, live music, a car show, and whiskey. The barbecue component at on-site restaurant Alice’s will feature smoked meats from pitmasters Sam Jones, Ronnie Killen, Tuffy Stone, Moe Cason, and Jean-Paul Bourgeois. Plates are $5 per pitmaster. The party benefits restaurant service industry foundation Southern Smoke and Rockwell, Texas-based Tate Farms to help recover after its event space burned in a fire in April. It begins at noon and runs until 8 p.m. (16604 Fitzhugh Road, Dripping Springs)
- Okay, so this is more of an anniversary event than a Memorial Day one, but all-around great bar the Tigress is throwing its 11th birthday party, complete with free food, cocktails, live music, and a market. It runs from 2 to 8 p.m. (100 West North Loop Boulevard, North Loop)
- Cookbook author Hannah Kaminsky is hosting a vegan party with North Loop’s Sweet Ritual and meal planning company Prep to your Door in honor of her upcoming book Super Vegan Scoops. The $19 ticket comes with a vegan lunch from restaurants and food companies and a goodie bag, and the $43 version includes all of that plus a copy of the book. Plus there’s live music and a book signing. People are encouraged to bring something to sit on too. (507 Calles Street, Suite 100, Holly)
Sunday, May 30
- East Austin brewery Zilker Brewing Company and food truck Spicy Boys are hosting a holiday-pegged crawfish boil. On deck are two pounds of crawfish paired with three pounds of extra items such as corn and potatoes. It begins at 11 a.m. (1701 East Sixth Street, East Austin)
- Smoked meats truck CM Smokehouse is putting together a whole hog barbecue for the holiday. Expect whole hog plates, a sandwich, and chicharrón nachos. It takes place at host bar Bouldin Acres starting at 2 p.m. until everything is sold out. (2027 South Lamar Boulevard, Zilker)
Memorial Day, Monday, May 31
- The South Austin location of local cidery Austin Eastciders is hosting a party with live music and drink specials (cocktails, crowlers, and draft ciders and seltzers). It takes place from noon to 8 p.m. (1530 Barton Springs Road, Zilker)
- South Austin Beer Garden is also throwing a crawfish boil for the holiday. Free mudbugs accompany drink purchases. Plus there will be barbecue, drink specials, games, and an adoption event run by nonprofit Fuzzy Texan Animal Rescue. It begins at 2 p.m. (10700 Menchaca Road, Far South Austin)
Know of a Memorial Day celebration missing that is missing? Let Eater know through email@example.com or the tipline.
Update, Friday, May 28, 11:03 a.m.: This guide, originally published on May 26, has been updated to include additional events.