The Beer Plant, a "100% plant-derived" bar and kitchen, is set to open today, Tuesday, September 27, in Tarrytown within the former Austin Java space. Local vegan chef Laura "Lou" Mustachio is helming the kitchen, which will offer familiar pub fare with a plant focus including sandwiches, hearty plates, and bar snacks.
For now, initial hours with a limited menu are from 5 p.m. to midnight, every evening, with reservations encouraged. Owners Ray and Sarah McMackin have been offering sneak peeks of its plant-forward food menu on social media including:
- Hops & Chips plate, featuring beer-battered hearts of palm, hand cut chips, and cabbage slaw with Cajun remoulade.
- Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower with blue "chz" dip
- The Ploughmans Board with housemade sourdough bread (yes, it will be making its own bread), fermented nut cheeses, tomato chutney, cultured coconut butter with grapes, apple slices, and walnuts
As certain as it is to attract vegetarians and vegans, The Beer Plant also aims to be a destination for craft beer aficionados. The bar will offer more than 30 beers on tap, including sour, farmhouse, and session, and local seasonal offerings too. (It recently announced it would carry 512 Brewing Company.) There has also been talks on a vegan beer pairing with Jester King. In addition to beer, expect wine (some local and some on tap), and a full bar with greenery-focused cocktails, some made with its housemade tonic water.
The non-alcoholic beverage options will include nitro coffee, local kombucha, and yaupon tea—the only naturally caffeinated plant native to the U.S—from Texas-based Cat Spring Yaupon.
The restaurant space includes the large bar, about a dozen tables, and a banquette against the wall. Future additions include outdoor seating added to the breezeway. When regular daily hours are implemented, look out for brunch later on.
The McMackins run Beer Plant, along with Fort Lauderdale-based Steve Cogswell and Blaise McMackin, who is Ray’s brother, who ran Tap 41 and another plant-focused restaurant The Green Bar, both in Florida.
- The Beer Plant [Official]
- The Beer Plant [Facebook]
- Vegan Gastropub The Beer Plant Will Be ‘100% Plant Derived’ [EATX]