Stonehouse Coffee + Bar will bring the historical Dawson Stone House back to life when FBR Management opens the cafe on South Lamar, next door to Gibson Street Bar. Eater has reached out for more details including the projected opening date. Watch this space for updates.
Update, September 7: Stonehouse will feature an on-site food truck, gelato, Cuvee coffee, beer, and pastries. It will open this winter, with daily hours from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.
In April, Austin’s Historic Landmark Commission approved FBR’s plan to construct a rear addition, relocate a window, and add outdoor wooden decks for the coffee shop. Those plans need to go to the state next for approval. Stone’s liquor license has been recently approved.
Stonehouse will be designed by Michael Hsu’s firm, like the mixed-use complex Lamar Union across the street. The design heavy-hitters are responsible for photogenic restaurants around the city including Uchi, Sway, and Lucy’s Fried Chicken as well as Austin’s first food hall Fareground.
Dawson Stone House is thought to have been built around 1900 by real estate developers and sisters Mary and Nannie Dawson as part of the South Heights expansion of Austin. The actual builder of the home was likely Nick Dawson, their brother and business partner. According to the Texas Historical Commission, the house was typical of middle class homes of that time; it was awarded Texas Historical Landmark status in 1974. The building was most recently a LoanStar Title Loans, which closed.
FBR Management currently oversees Gibson Street Bar next door to the project, as well as Rattle Inn, Stubb’s, and Mean Eyed Cat, and the revived Lala’s Little Nugget.