Fresa’s Chicken al Carbon is doubling in size with a second location in South Austin. The poultry-focused drive-thru took over the shuttered patio paradise Freddie's Place last summer. The new South 1st Street digs allow the superstar team—Rene Ortiz, Laura Sawicki, and Margaret Vera (also of James Beard Award finalist Launderette)—to shake things up. Here is what Eater knows about the expansion so far:
1) Fresa’s original location on North Lamar changed up its menu this week as a preview of things to come with the expansion. This means no more classic and cubana tortas.
2) Other new items on the new menu include one more bowl (chicken pastor, avocado, sweet potato, and a mix of greens, topped with pineapple pico), more vegetables (grilled kale with lima beans, roasted cheesy cauliflower), and new tacos. Check out the new menu further below.
3) There is also the new seasonally-changing featured dish. Currently, it's shrimp tostadas, available until the end of August.
4) Fresa’s #2 is set to debut over the summer.
5) In the new spot, pastry chef Sawicki will be churning out her take on flour tortillas.
6) Look out for more wood-grilled meat entrees beyond the current two chicken options with steak and fish.
7) Because table service will be added, there will be a dedicated to-go window with special reserved parking spots.
8) Fresa’s South First will have both indoor and outdoor seating. The patio will be dog-friendly.
9) Expect to find a full bar serving margaritas and more. Fresa’s currently offers DIY drinking kits for micheladas and margaritas, minus the alcohol, and beer and wine to-go.
10) As a tribute to its predecessor Freddie’s, there will have a playscape for the kiddos.
11) In that vein, Fresa’s will also host live music occasionally.