Austin bartenders will seek to define the city with booze again with the return of cocktail competition Official Drink of Austin next month. Downtown bar Garage made last year’s winning drink, the Indian Paintbrush, made with vodka, grapefruit and lime juices, rosemary syrup, and bitters.
While the Texas forever alcoholic concoctions won’t be revealed until the day of the contest, Eater has the first look at this year’s food lineup, which includes brisket buns from Vox Table, Jagermeister spice ice cream floats from Amy's, and Frank’s quesowurst. Read on for the full list below.
The eight competiting teams include Geraldine's, Juniper, and both Backbeat and Drink.Well, run by Michael and Jessica Sanders, in separate groups. Judges include Olamaie’s Michael Fojtasek, former Vox Table’s Travis Tober, and Chauncy James from reigning bar Garage, along with singer Aaron Behrens from Ghostland Observatory and The Midnight Stroll and KEYE's Taylor Ellison.
This year’s boozy competition, hosted by Austin Food and Wine Alliance and The Tipsy Texan, will be held on Thursday, May 12 at the Fair Market, from 7 to 10 p.m. Advanced tickets are $55, and $65 at the door.
Official Drink of Austin's Food Lineup
- Chi’lantro - vodka-brined wing pops paired with kimchi gut shot
- Fork & Vine - barbecue pork ribs
- Juliet - crispy ceci beans with gremolata
- Salt & Time - American lamb kibbeh balls
- Lox, Box, & Barrel - deviled eggs with house cured bacon, bagel chips, and smoke salmon mousse
- Swift's Attic - honey comb and truffled cheese, honeydew melon with micro amaranth
- Vox Table - brisket bun with Yorkshire pudding, horseradish creme, Akaushi brisket
- Counter 3.Five.VII - chilled duck terrine with potato mousse and summer savory
- The Townsend - lamb meatballs with mushroom ketchup, herbs, and lemon
- Frank - currywurst and quesowurst
- Wu Chow - five spice braised pork belly, charred spring onion ourée, and local vegetable
- Alcomar - oysters on the half shell with habanero mignonette
- Nightcap - radish escabeche
- The Bonneville - Korean-style braised lamb steamed buns
- Sway - plathuna khrib: ahi tuna, crispy rice flour shell, Thai chili, and lime
- Backbeat - red curry rabbit, farmhouse pickles, and toasted crostini
- Drink.Well - smoked eggplant flatbread with arugula, roasted red pepper, and grana padano
- Apis - dry aged beef tartare "parisa," jalapeno, mimolette, and egg yolk
- Weather Up - chilled pea soup with pink peppercorn chevre
- Prelog’s - TBD
- Uchi - TBD
- Lick Honest Ice Creams - loquat margarita with mulberry sauce
- Amy’s Ice Cream - miniature Jagermeister spice floats and ice cream sandwiches with fernet branca menta