Former Stubb’s co-owners John Scott and Eddy Patterson now have a name for their South Austin restaurant: Eberly. The restaurant and event space, which took over Ridgeway Reprographics on 615 South Lamar, was announced back in October 2013.
Eberly’s special attraction is a piece of New York booze history: the two purchased the 50-foot mahogany bar from the famous Cedar Tavern in New York, which shuttered in 2006. It cost them $150,000.
The menu's focus will be on general American fare with breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night bar fare, and drinks. Jim Tripi will serve as executive chef, who previously oversaw the kitchen at the Spanish Oaks Golf Club. He’s currently looking for an executive sous chef.
The space is designed by Mickie Spencer, who worked on East Side Showroom. Look out for an open kitchen and high windows, along with a wine cellar and private dining room.
Presumably, the restaurant is named after Angelina Eberly, who is also called "The Savior of Austin." In 1842, she shot off a cannon warning Austinites that President Sam Houston and his men were attempting to remove the city as the then-republic's capital. Her statue currently graces Congress Avenue.
Scott and Patterson co-founded Stubb’s Bar-B-Que in the late 1980s, but sold their shares to food manufacturing company McCormick & Co. last year. FBR Management now oversees the restaurant and music venue.