clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Sausage Grease Fire Ruins Willie’s Bar-B-Que Last Night

The smokers were engulfed in flames, but the restaurant is fine.

Willie's Bar-B-Que
Willie's Bar-B-Que
Jack S./Yelp

A grease fire destroyed Willie's Bar-B-Que's smokers last night in East Austin, reports The Statesman. The fire luckily didn’t reach the actual restaurant. Originally suspected to be a trash fire, the Austin Fire Department determined the cause of the flames to be grease from sausages:

A door to the smoker left too open allowed grease from cooking sausage links to drip onto hot coals. That ignited a grease fire that destroyed the smoker’s trailer and its contents, which have been estimated to be worth $25,000, fire officials said.

Willie's Bar-B-Que

4505 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin, TX 78721 (512) 926-9340

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Austin newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world