1) Liberty Kitchen Oyster Bar — The popular Houston-based oyster and seafood bar officially opened its doors in Austin today in the Pressler apartment complex in Clarksville, after a few weeks of soft openings. In addition to raw oysters, the menu features items like "gorilla style" street fish tacos and a pork belly carbonara, which one Yelper called "everything it should be."
2) Dos Chivos Mexican Kitchen — North Austinites got another spot for Mexican food on May 1, with the opening of Dos Chivos Mexican Kitchen. The menu—which focuses on both interior Mexican food and Tex-Mex—features items like avocado tres leches and javalina (smoked wild boar ribs, guava barbecue sauce). Dos Chivos is the fifth restaurant concept by Tc4 & Co., the folks behind other suburb spots like Tony C’s Pizza and Wine Bar and The League Kitchen & Tavern.
3) Alcomar — The South First Latin seafood-focused spot opened towards the end of April, in the former El Chile space. The menu includes snapper, scallops and oysters, plus a full bar that includes water-basil mimosas—although one Yelper called the mimosas "a huge letdown."
4) Flitch Coffee — Another East Austin coffee shop has been added to the mix. Housed in a vintage trailer, Flitch Coffee opened this past month in front of Hatch Workshops on Tillery St. and is serving up what one Yelper called "some of the best lattes in Austin."
5) Twisted Root Burger — The Dallas-based build-your-own spot is taking a second chance in Austin and is now officially open on Burnet Rd, complete with a mini golf course—which is free to anyone who purchases a milkshake. There’s also local beers, plenty of fried things (green beans, pork skins, pickles, etc) and a separate gluten-free menu.
6) Zilker Brewing Company — The craft-brewery opened on April 10 on East 6 Steet across from The Grackle, six months after permits popped up for the spot. The urban brewery features its own "American-Belgo" brews which include a honey saison and an IPA, and aims to be a spot for weekend hanging, with taproom hours on Friday-Sundays.
7) The Violet Taco — Food truck The Violet Taco is open as of May 2 at the new East Cesar Chavez bar Craftsman, and is serving up "violet tacos", "Mexiconey island dogs" and specials like a "dirty chicken" taco.
8) Mighty Dogs Cafe and Bistro — Mighty Dogs, which was founded in Indiana, held its grand Austin opening on May 2 at its Orchard St. bungalow. One Yelper called the Austin Dog (7 grain bun, jalapeno sauce, nacho cheese, black beans) "the best hot dog I’ve ever had."
— Sofia Sokolove