Statesman food critic Matthew Odam rounds up his top twelve burgers in Austin today after soliciting guesses on Twitter. Honorees include longtime favorite Casino El Camino, UT bar The Crown and Anchor, south Lamar trailer Luke's Inside Out, and higher-end burgers from the likes of Clark's and Swift's Attic. Odam also solicited burger recipes and tips from Second Bar + Kitchen's Jason Stude, Swift's Attic's Mat Clouser, and Shawn Cirkiel of Parkside. The Feed blog features a slideshow as well. The full list is below the cut.
Matthew Odam's Top 12 Burgers in Austin
1. Black Sheep Lodge — His pick is "the signature Black Buffalo Burger" with "ample chunks of funky blue cheese."
2. Casino El Camino — a backyard-grill-reminsicent burger, "if the devil was manning the grill, a cigarette dangling from his mouth."
3. Clark's — "I doubt any other restaurant has the temerity or ingenuity to include a sauce gribiche on a burger."
4. Contigo — Their burger "bristles with a peppery crust that reveals a pink interior."
5. Crown and Anchor — Simplicity at its best with "a double with bacon and cheese (simple American slices), pickles, fierce white onions, mustard and mayonnaise."
6. Drink.Well. — Their burger shines with "onion marmalade both smoky and sweet."
7. Epicerie — Their "sumptuous cheddar cheeseburger" comes on a brioche bun.
8. Hopfields — The Pascal burger wows "with creamy rind-on camembert cheese, sweet caramelized onions, bold brown mustard and spirited Napoleonic gerkin."
9. Luke's Inside Out — "the sweet tang of barbecue sauce lingers" on their fatty burger, a "beautiful little sin."
10. Parkside — "Cirkiel's burger remains as great as it's been since the restaurant opened in 2008."
11. Second Bar + Kitchen — Where "the recklessness of the patty given a bit of refinement from shallot confit and a thick cut of gruyere."
12. Swift's Attic — Their Bowling Alley burger "blends the salty tang of melted fontina with the sweetness of caramelized onions."
· Matthew Odam's Top Twelve Burgers in Austin [Statesman]
· Some of Austin's Top Chefs Talk Burgers [Statesman]
· The Big 12: My Favorite Burgers in Austin [The Feed]
· All Burgers Coverage [-EATX-]
· Eater Burger Week 2013 [-EATX-]