- Paul Qui shakes hands with Rep. Angie Chen Button, alongside Deana "East Side Queen" Saukam and his ESK chef-partner Moto Utsonomiya.
- The Qui crew got a shout out up in the gallery. From left to right: qui assistant gm Bill Mann, qui beverage director Michael Simon, East Side King's James Tran and ceramics maker Keith Kreeger, who'll make some of the tableware at qui.
- Qui, Saukam and Utsonomiya pose with Texas' besuited legislators.
- Saukam, Qui and Utsonomiya wait behind the scenes to be honored. [Photo courtesy Deana Saukam]
Chef Paul Qui and his culinary colleagues at East Side King and the soon-to-open qui were honored at the state capitol today. April 6th is officially Paul Qui Day in the city of Austin, but Rep. Eddie Rodriguez honored Qui this afternoon with House Concurrent Resolution 78, wherein Qui's badassery is statutorily recognized, celebrating the chef "for helping to create one of the signature businesses in Austin's thriving food-trailer scene" and for being "one of the leading practitioners of his craft, earning national recognition for himself and for Austin's dynamic culinary community." Thus:
RESOLVED, That the 83rd Legislature of the State of Texas hereby congratulate Paul Qui on his remarkable achievements as a chef and a restaurateur and extend to him sincere best wishes for continued success.Says Qui, via press release: "It's really humbling for me to be honored. I owe Austin a lot, and I am very grateful for everyone's support." · East Side King [Official]
· All Paul Qui Coverage on Eater Austin [-EATX-]