clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Sagra Closing Temporarily Due to Fire Damage

Downtown restaurant Sagra is temporarily closed after a fire in the attic caused an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to the building.

The fire started around 5:00 yesterday while there were about 20 customers inside, all of whom were safely evacuated. Firefighters had the fire out by 5:30; they said the fire was accidental and started in the hood vent.

UPDATE: We just received Sagra's official statement:

"A fire took place at Sagra Italian Trattoria on the evening of Sunday, April 3. The family owned Italian establishment was forced to call the fire department when their kitchen became ablaze in the midst of Sunday service. The fire, a result of faulty pizza oven instillation, caused an estimated $100,000 in damages and will leave Sagra closed for at least a week, according to Chef/Owner Gabriel Pellegrini. There were no injuries during the fire. "We are hoping to get everything repaired and be open again next week," said Pellegrini, who maintains that returning to service is his first priority."

· Downtown Italian Restaurant Damaged in Fire [Statesman]
· All Sagra Coverage on Eater Austin [-EATX-]
[Photo: Sagra / Facebook]

Sagra [Closed]

1050 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702 (512) 535-5988 Visit Website

Sagra

1610 San Antonio St Austin, TX 78701

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Austin newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world