Goodness gracious, Austin is getting a food truck festival to call its very own. The Gypsy Picnic Food Trailer Food Festival will be held November 6 at Auditorium Shores, and it will be epic. Put together by C3, the events team that does Austin City Limits, and Tiffany Harelik of Trailer Food Diaries, the fest will feature a contest judged by an "expert panel of judges" as well as fan favorites in food and truck design. We couldn't be more excited if Uchi chef Tyson Cole had decided to open a food truck in our front yard.
Since it was just announced, details are likely to change, but here's what we know:
· It will run from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM, rain or shine.
· Each truck will serve two to three tasting-sized "signature menu items" which must cost $3 or less.
· The trailers will be organized on Auditorium Shores to preserve the "the trailer food congregations that have developed organically." Areas are: Eastside (Cesar Chavez, E. 6th Street), SoCo, Southside (SoLa, S. 1st, Barton Springs), Downtown, Campus, and Outliers/Rovers. (Which reminds us: Northside, where you at with the trailers? Counter Culture can't do everything by themselves.)
· Critics' Choice contest categories are Meat (inc. seafood and chicken), Vegetarian/Vegan, Dessert, Beverage (hot or cold), and "Creativity."
· There will be "tunes," which in the Live Music Capital of the World usually means local bands.
· Trucks must be at least three months old, so no trickster pop-ups from restaurants.
· They're instituting "greening" regulations, which means no styrofoam, mandatory composting, that kind of thing.
Vendors can sign up here.
· Gypsy Picnic Trailer Food Festival [Official Site via Statesman]
· All Gypsy Picnic Trailer Food Festival Coverage on Eater Austin [-EA-]
· All Food Truck coverage on Eater Austin [-EA-]